Founded by Sisters of Providence
Saint Vincent Hospital was founded in 1893 by the Sisters of Providence as a small Catholic community based hospital overlooking the city from Vernon Hill. The hospital, opening with 12 beds, was named after the patron saint of the Sister's order, Saint Vincent de Paul. Immediately after its opening, increasing need prompted an expansion in bed capacity. The new hospital, adjacent to the existing one, had a capacity to care for 30 patients. In 1899, following the hospital's incorporation in 1898, the Sisters expanded into a one hundred and fifty-bed red brick building to which a sixty-bed wing was added in 1918.
Nursing School Established
Responding to the need for nursing instruction, the hospital opened a nursing school in 1900; and in 1922, a residence for Sisters and student nurses was constructed facing Providence Street. The school thrived throughout the years until its closing in May 1988.
Over the years, the hospital grew extensively in size and stature. In 1954, a full service acute care teaching hospital was opened at 25 Winthrop Street on the grounds of the former Crompton Estate.
In 1964, a five-story service wing addition to the main hospital was completed; and one year later, the Bishop Wright Pavilion was added, providing facilities for a 51-bed psychiatric unit, a 45-bed maternity section and a 52-bed surgical floor. Saint Luke's Hall on Heywood Street also opened in 1965, providing living accommodations for residents and interns. In 1969, the Anderson Building was built to house the Data Processing Center; and the Rose Building, containing laboratories and research facilities, was added in 1970. An amphitheater and modern medical library were added in 1984.
In 1983, Saint Vincent Hospital was corporately reorganized to reflect its expansion from a hospital into a diversified healthcare system. The corporate parent became Saint Vincent Healthcare System, Inc., and its subsidiaries included Saint Vincent Hospital, Certified Nursing Services (a home health agency), three skilled nursing facilities known as the Providence House Nursing Homes, and a laboratory called CliniTech.
In 1990, Saint Vincent Healthcare System merged with the Fallon Healthcare System, creating the first vertically integrated healthcare delivery system in the area. Together, Saint Vincent and Fallon developed plans to replace the current hospital facility with a first-class, high-tech medical complex called Medical City which was later renamed Worcester Medical Center.
Saint Vincent Hospital Creates State-of-the-Art Medical Facility - Worcester Medical Center
In February 1997 groundbreaking for the new Worcester Medical Center project housing the Saint Vincent Hospital, several Fallon Clinic offices and Independent Physician Practices was begun. On April 1, 2000, Saint Vincent Hospital moved to the new state-of-the-art facility and continues its mission of providing compassionate and quality health-care to the Greater Worcester community. In January 2005 Vanguard Health System purchased the facility and continues to follow the long standing Catholic tradition first established by the Sisters of Providence. To learn more about Vanguard Health System click here www.vanguardhealth.com