Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) at Saint Vincent Hospital at Worcester Medical Center provides ecumenical professional training for clergy and others who will be engaged in future ministry. CPE provides a training environment for those aspiring to be institutional chaplains as well as those who are preparing for professional and vocational ministry. The learning gained in CPE is applicable to church, parish, prison or other ministry settings. The CPE program at Saint Vincent Hospital offers participants a variety of opportunities to reflect upon their experiences with peers, a certified pastoral education supervisor and other professionals. Participants will be involved in seminars and other training opportunities that assist them in the formation and understanding of their own personal identity. The programs offer an opportunity to integrate theology and behavioral sciences into real life situations and crisis ministry. Elements of the program include:
- Didactic Presentations
- Pastoral Care Seminars
- Interpersonal Dynamics Seminars
- Individual Supervision
- Crisis Ministry while serving as On-Call Chaplain in rotation
- Opportunities for direct ministry to patients, families and hospital staff members
The CPE program at Saint Vincent Hospital is an Action/Reflection learning process under the direction and supervision of an experienced and certified Association of Clinical Pastoral Educator (ACPE). The hospital offers summer and extended CPE units for levels I and II that are accredited by The Association of Clinical Pastoral Education, Inc.
Admission to the program normally requires:
- A completed application provided by Saint Vincent Hospital CPE Center or an on-line application, sent as an attachment to the CPE supervisor’s email address.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or equivalent
- Masters of Divinity (or its equivalent) or current enrollment in graduate theological degree program
- Ordination, Professed Religious status or movement toward full-time ministry
- Interview by a qualified CPE Supervisor
- Acceptance into the Saint Vincent Hospital CPE Program
Application may be made by requesting an application packet from the CPE Center, which contains an application form and extensive information about the Saint Vincent Hospital CPE Program. Alternatively, an on-line application may be completed at www.acpe.edu, saved and as an attachment sent by email to the supervisor at Peggy.Kieras@StVincentHospital.com. All required information must be received either by US mail or by electronic means for the application to be processed. Narrative responses should be completed off line and the "cut and paste" feature used to place those responses in the appropriate section of the on-line application. Or, you may send the application and note in the comment section that the responses to the narrative questions are being sent as an attachment in a separate email message.
For more information or questions:
Rev. Peggy J. Kieras
Saint Vincent Hospital at Worcester Medical Center
123 Summer Street
Worcester, MA 01608
PH: (508) 363-7012
FX: (508) 363-5383