Saint Vincent Hospital was founded in 1893 as a small, Catholic community hospital by the Sisters of Providence. Overlooking the city of Worcester from Vernon Hill, the new facility was named after Saint Vincent de Paul, the patron saint of the Sister's order.
With just 12 beds when it opened, immediate need prompted an expansion in bed capacity, and a second Worcester hospital was built next door to accommodate another 30 patients.The hospital was incorporated in 1898, and just one year later the Sisters expanded into a 150-bed building, to which a 60-bed wing was added in 1918.
Nursing school established.
Responding to the need for quality nurses, the Worcester hospital opened a nursing school in 1900. In 1922, a residence for Sisters and student nurses was constructed facing Providence Street. The school thrived throughout the years until its closing in May 1988. But that did not signify the end of the legacy of nursing instruction at Saint Vincent Hospital.
“This institution is very dedicated to education and our mission spans decades,” says Saint Vincent Hospital Chief Medical Officer Dr. Octavio Diaz. “The turnover rate for the nursing staff is very, very small. Our retention rate is one of the best.”
In 1964, a five-story service wing addition to the main hospital was completed. One year later the Bishop Wright Pavilion was added, providing facilities for a 51-bed psychiatric unit, a 45-bed maternity section and a 52-bed surgical floor. Saint Luke's Hall on Heywood Street in Worcester also opened in 1965, providing living accommodations for residents and interns. In 1969, the Anderson Building was built to house the Data Processing Center; and the Rose Building, containing laboratories and research facilities, was added in 1970. An amphitheater and modern medical library were added in 1984.
In 1983, Saint Vincent Hospital was corporately reorganized to reflect its expansion from a Worcester hospital into a diversified healthcare system. The corporate parent became Saint Vincent Healthcare System Inc., and its subsidiaries included Saint Vincent Hospital, Certified Nursing Services (a home health agency), three skilled nursing facilities known as the Providence House Nursing Homes and a laboratory called CliniTech.
In 1990, Saint Vincent Healthcare System merged with the Fallon Healthcare System, creating the first vertically integrated healthcare delivery system in the area. Together, Saint Vincent and Fallon developed plans to replace the current hospital facility with a first-class, high-tech medical complex called Medical City which was later renamed Worcester Medical Center.
In February 1997, the groundbreaking for the new Worcester Medical Center project housing the Saint Vincent Hospital, several Fallon Clinic offices and Independent Physician Practices begun. On April 1, 2000, Saint Vincent Hospital moved to the new state-of-the-art facility and continues its mission of providing compassionate and quality health-care to the Greater Worcester community.
In January 2005 Vanguard Health System purchased the facility and continues to follow the longstanding Catholic tradition first established by the Sisters of Providence.
“The hospital is clearly part of the fabric of this community,” says Saint Vincent Hospital’s Rev. Msgr. Peter Beaulieu, M.A., S.T.L. “Life is sacred and we do all we can to enhance people’s lives medically, spiritually and emotionally.”