Adjustable Gastric Band
Reversible Weight-Loss Surgery
When considering different weight-loss surgeries, you and your doctor will discuss your goals and specific needs. One option that you may decide on is the adjustable gastric band.
What Is Adjustable Gastric Band Surgery?
This procedure involves using a circular balloon band that is placed near the top of the stomach. The band is then tightened to create a small stomach pouch. This pouch restricts the amount of food that your stomach can hold. Because it uses an inflatable balloon to adjust the size of your stomach, your doctor can inflate or deflate the balloon at follow-up appointments as needed for healthy weight loss and maintenance.
Pros and Cons of the Adjustable Gastric Band
- Generally faster recovery time than other bariatric options
- Lower risk of complications than other procedures
- Band can be adjusted or even removed after surgery as necessary
- Typically slower weight loss than other weight-loss surgery options
- More frequent follow-up doctor visits are necessary
To understand more about adjustable gastric band surgery at Saint Vincent Hospital, click here to connect with a weight-loss specialist today.