Recipe: Cottage Cheese Very Blueberry Pancakes
Start the day committed to healthy AND delicious with this easy to make and family friendly recipe from the American Heart Association.
- 3 large egg whites or 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup low-fat, no-salt-added or low-sodium cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 12 ounces frozen blueberries (with liquid), thawed
- Cooking spray
- In a medium bowl, stir together the egg whites, cottage cheese, and milk.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, and sugar. Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture. Stir just until moistened but no flour is visible. Do not overmix.
- Gently fold the blueberries with the liquid into the batter.
- Lightly spray a griddle or large skillet with cooking spray. Heat over medium-high heat. For each pancake, ladle a 1/4 cup of batter onto the griddle. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or just until bubbles begin to form on the top of the pancakes and the edges are a little dry. Reduce the heat to medium low. Gently turn over the pancakes. Cook for about 3 minutes, or until the second side is golden brown and the pancakes are fairly firm to the touch.
- Transfer the pancakes to a cooling rack, placing them in a single layer and leaving space between. Repeat with the remaining batter.
Recipe and photo courtesy of American Heart Association
Sign Up for Health Tips
Get our advice and upcoming events about weight, pain, heart and more.