Skilled Doctors Playing an Important Role
At Saint Vincent Hospital, we’re dedicated to providing comprehensive, compassionate care to those in our community. As part of our ongoing commitment to excellence, our Hospitalist Program plays a critical part in providing you with support in
getting the care you need. Hospitalists are doctors whose primary focus is providing general medical care for anyone admitted to our hospital.
What Do Saint Vincent Hospitalists Do?
Hospitalists are responsible for many important tasks, including:
- Working in partnership with your primary care doctor to coordinate inpatient care
- Working closely with nurses, ancillary staff and other specialists involved in your care
- Being familiar with the hospital’s systems for ordering tests, analyzing results and arranging for treatment
- Being trained to quickly recognize and respond to changes in the patient’s condition
- Being available at the hospital 24 hours a day, so they can see patients as frequently as their medical conditions require
- Promptly providing your doctor with a written report of your hospital visit to facilitate any follow-up care you may need
If you do not have a primary care doctor, the Hospitalist team will provide you with a list and arrange your follow-up care.
How Hospitalists Help Primary Care Doctors
Hospitalists practice full-time in the hospital, so they are readily available to help your doctor. When you enter the hospital, a Saint Vincent Hospitalist will immediately begin acting as attending doctor for the length of the hospital stay.
- Provide prompt admission and treatment
- Oversee your entire hospital stay to provide quality care
- Communicate ongoing patient status to your primary care doctor on a timely basis
Daily activities include:
- Coordinating hospital admissions
- Arranging diagnostic testing and specialty consultations
- Explaining findings and discussing recommendations with patients
- Orchestrating all patient care
- Providing medical care for patients who need surgical treatment
- Managing urgent situations that may arise during the hospitalization
- Reviewing hospital treatment with insurance companies and payers
If you’re interested in a career as a Hospitalist at Saint Vincent Hospital, call (508) 363-6849 to learn more.