Learn About Our Comprehensive Program
Saint Vincent Hospital has been serving the central Massachusetts community for more than 100 years. Our 321-bed, tertiary care, community teaching hospital offers the Saint Vincent Hospital Podiatric Surgical Residency Program, a PMSR/RRA accredited program by the CPME.
Residents work closely with over 20 podiatric surgeons as well as foot and ankle orthopedic surgeons who typically offer over 30 cases per week. The residents operate at different surgical sites located within 3 miles of Saint Vincent Hospital, including UMass Memorial Medical Center and Worcester Surgical Center. As a Level 1 Trauma Center, UMass Memorial Medical Center leads to ample numbers in reconstructive and trauma cases. As a resident, you begin operating right away and do not “double scrub” cases.
- PGY-1: $53,772
- PGY-2: $55,251
- PGY-3: $56,787
- Vacation: 20 paid days off per residency year, which includes continuing medical education days
- Sick leave: accrues at the rate of one day per month
- Medical leave
- Educational allowance: $600/year for educational-related expenses
- On-call meal tickets: Meals provided per on-call shift
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Life insurance
- Free access to Ovid Medline search, Up-To-Date and other related databases
- Two fitted lab coats per year, secured on campus parking
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Personal, automobile, homeowners/renters insurance discounts
- Payroll deduction services, payroll direct deposit wide computer network access, BLS/ACLS
- Certification offered and provided by the hospital
- Pre-taxed medical/dependent care accounts
- Christmas/vacation club accounts
How to Apply
Apply online here.
In addition to surgical exposure, our residency program ensures residents receive appropriate levels of clinical preparedness. There are two clinic days spent with foot and ankle orthopedics at UMass Memorial and as a third year a one-on-one podiatry clinic for you and one Reliant Medical Group Attending. Academics are greatly emphasized at this residency. There is a monthly journal club, which covers a wide variety of topics. We have a monthly Anatomy Lab, monthly surgical board review, M&M and book review. We also have a wound care center with HBO therapy.
The residents rotate through a wide range of rotations. First-year residents rotate through Radiology, Internal Medicine, Anesthesiology, Vascular Surgery, Emergency Medicine and Pathology. Second-year residents rotate through Infectious Disease, Endocrinology, Rheumatology, and Behavioral Medicine. House officers receive an extensive range of benefits through the Saint Vincent Hospital.